My 10 Favorite Songs of 2011 (Not The Best Ten, Most Meaningful, Most Staying Power Rich, etc.)
1. Bon Iver - Beth / Rest
2. Wilco - Whole Love
3. Speak - Wars
4. Ben Gibbard - When The Sun Goes Down
5. Foster the People - I Would Do Anything For You
6. Ra Ra Riot - Too Dramatic
7. Bob Schneider - Let the Light In
8. The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
9. Strokes - Under Cover of Darkness
10. Matt Nathanson - Kiss Quick
10 Songs I intentionally or otherwise knowingly haven’t heard but should’ve for a variety of reasons (e.g. I should’ve because they were unavoidable, super popular, or otherwise).
1. Rihanna - We Found Love
2. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
3. Lady Antebellum - We Owned The Night
4. Anything by Mac Miller
5. Wavves - I Wannt Meet Dave Grohl
6. Any of Beyonce’s “4”
7. Any of Wale’s “Ambition”
8. Any of Common’s “The Dreamer/The Believer”
9. Any of The Weeknd’s 2nd Mixtape
10. LMFAO’s latest, “Sexy and I Know It”
My 10 Favorite Movies of 2011 (Same criteria as above):
2. Super 8
4. Source Code
5. X-Men: First Class
6. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
7. Another Earth
8. Like Crazy
Curator’s Note: I saw maybe 2-3 other films in theatre but they were so mediocre-to-rotten I wouldn’t dare list them as “favorites”.
10 Movies I Should’ve Seen and Am Confident I’d Probably Enjoy/Revise The Above List For
2. The Descendants
3. Midnight in Paris
6. Tree of Life
9. A Separation
10. The Muppets
New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Continue improving physique/cardio.
2. Continue end of year long overdue tackling of allergies.
3. Improve general mental health/clarity consistency.
4. Strive for better balance (mental, physical, spiritual?).
5. Read more. A lot more.
6. Write something 5500+ words. Something good.
7. Improve knowledge/practice of Spanish
8. Get better at reading music.
9. Tumblr (or personal blog) more.
10. Play more guitar/piano.
10+1. Be a better “post hoc” self editor.
10+2. Watch more movies.
10+3. Remember to more consistently ask yourself, “if you weren’t already doing it this way, how would you do it?”
Per the secondary suggestion of the internet’s Jon Bois’ twitter person of following, I moseyed on down to popular buzz sandwich restaurant SUNdeVICH to see if their international offerings were truly up to snuff or not. Locating the establishment took in upwards of 15 minutes with ultimately the restaurant being found in a narrow alleyway in a heavily transitional neighborhood. Despite the humble outside offerings, the inside transported me to a carefree land of international mystery and intrigue.